NCLEX Practice Question about Oral Disorder
These NCLEX RN review and nursing exam questions about Oral Disorder are for help of all NCLEX Candidates who are appearing in nursing exam. All Candidates of Nursing Exam can uses this NCLEX Study Guide as NCLEX practice questions for NCLEX RN Exam help.
A newly admitted client has sickle cell crisis. He is complaining of pain in his feet and hands. The nurse’s assessment findings include a pulse oximetry of 92. Assuming that all the following interventions are ordered, which should be done first?
- 1- Adjust the room temperature
- 2- Give a bolus of IV fluids
- 3- Start O2
- 4- Administer meperidine (Demerol) 75mg IV push
Answer C is correct for this NCLEX QuestionRationale of NCLEX Exam Question
- The pulse oximetry indicates that oxygen levels are low; thus, oxygenation takes precedence over pain relief. Answer A is incorrect because although a warm environment reduces pain and minimizes sickling, it would not be a priority.
- Answer B is incorrect because although hydration is important, it would not require a bolus.
- Answer D is incorrect because Demerol is acidifying to the blood and increases sickling.